Thursday, January 26, 2012

“It shall be unlawful for a negro and white person to play together or in company with each other in any game of cards or dice, dominoes or checkers.”

This is an example of a racist Jim Crow law that was placed in Alabama in 1930. I think this law is impractical and I wonder why it would be passed. If the people are scared that they will be infected with a black person's 'disease' then why would they be playing checkers with them in the first place! It makes me sad to think that even if a little black boy and white girl wanted to play Go Fish together they couldn't! But if the two children became friends then they could maybe rise up for anti-segregation and get married and so that's why this law would be passed. So I guess I sort of understand.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Hannah! I agree with what you wrote and I like your paragraph very much. I find that all of the Jim Crow laws are very hypocritical thinking back that they had black people in their homes cleaning and raising their children (which includes touching and feeding if they are afraid of disease.)Yet, they can't even a friendly card game with each other. I find this stupid. I guess the reason is if you are working for a white person as a maid, then you are considered below them. That they are superior to you. I guess they thought that if it was a game, both opponents are equal. I don't know, most Jim Crow laws are confusing to figure out the reasoning.

    ReplyDelete